Sunday, July 1, 2007

Living a selfish life

This is my first blog and as the name suggests,it will be about my way of living,living selfishly.
The choice of the topic itself is selfish,when there are so many other 'worldly' topics to choose from.But I'm an 'Egoist',and so people who are reading my blog will have to make do with my idiosyncrasies!
One of the most annoying things about this world is the growing presence of the 'Altruists',who for some reason believe that they are doing something noble by devoting their time and energy to the welfare of others.How can a living being live for others in the fundamental sense?Can you breathe for another person?And the answer is NO!You breathe for your survival.You don't think through another's brain and you don't work through another's hands.Then why is there the rush to take part in modern-day charities?It's easier to donate a few thousand to charity and think oneself noble than to base self-respect on personal standards of personal achievement.People all over the world speak for murderers when they are sentenced to death,but they will not stand by for an independent man,a man who works to satisfy his own needs without being conscious of others because they consider it to the ultimate sin,to try and satisfy your ego.They speak lofty things about virtue,charm,kindness and happiness in helping others.What these men do not possess is their faculty of independent judgement.They have lost their ability to reason and go blindly wherever the inertia of mass(people) takes them.
The functions of ego is to judge,feel and act accordingly.Men ignore the advice of their ego while trying to please his neighbour who in turn acts in ways that would please his neighbour and so on,not one does pause and think what exactly he is doing for himself.He acts according to common perceptions,his judgement is based on what others will perceive and not on what he truly seeks.Think about all great creators and scientists.Only by living for themselves were they able to achieve the things which are the glory of mankind. Such is the nature of achievement.

Now i know this has been a pain to read for you,since i myself could not clearly put my ideas and thoughts in writing.But thank you all the same for going through it.I'll end with a quotation from "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand,the one book that has affected my philosophies and ideas most profoundly yet.

"You've probably wondered why people suffer, why they seek happiness and never find it. If any man stopped and asked himself whether he's ever held a truly personal desire, he'd find the answer. He'd see that all his wishes, his efforts, his dreams, his ambitions are motivated by other men. He's not really struggling even for material wealth, but for the second-hander's delusion--prestige." -The Fountainhead

4 comments:

Sudipto Basu said...

Totally agreed with you, Sumit. I know that most of the people surrounding me don't give a damn as to what happens to me. What I've noticed is that: if one succeeds, most around him/her will be jealous, and if he/she fails even after all the hard work, they'll ridicule him/her for being a 'loser'. That's the harsh reality! But still, I refuse to be pessimistic and cynical. The world is indeed bad and ugly, but shall I be so too? I shall choose to help people who really value me and need me, for example, an orphan who doesn't have anyone to look after him. When I say that I live for others, I mean that I live for those who need me. Not these nosey and irritating neighbours and so-called 'friends' of mine who are in reality "Sukher Paira"-s. As I said earlier, it's in helping needy people that you feel a sense of peace and contentment: and in a certain sense, that's when you listen to and live for your own self. The ultimate higher self: your own conscience! At that certain point: living for others and living for the self converge into the same beautiful ideal. The whole life's a journey towards this ultimate realisation. And I'm still in the search for it!

I assure you that you have expressed yourself sufficiently well. Keep writing: you are quite good at it.

Sudipto.

Anonymous said...

Great work,
But I think,Sumit,you got the meaning of 'charity' and 'help' wrong.It doesnt stand for breathing for others,or thinking through others brain,the definition of charity must be helping the others to breathe,making them think through own their brain...in one word make them independent,make them believe themselves and their own ability!!!I know its too idealistic!But,i can surely say,very few people neglect their ego to please their neighbour,you got to admit there is a hell lot of egoists around us!

I got all my ideas scattered!Hope,you will get what i mean!


Richeek

Unknown said...

selflessness ....is always the greatest insult to the ghetto...u know y??for it is a luxury to the poor,it beckons to the spineless,the undifferentiated,the inept,the derelict,the drowning-a poor mn is nothing without the fierce thorns of his ego!!!!!!!!!dats where da definition of ego lies not to judge,feel and act.ego is 'me and myself'!!!!!it is when we few out of the egoistic mass try to make our neighbous happy and da word isnt pleasing!not to breth or so for another!had very1 been a pure egoist dear not this society wud hav existed but been a mass of shambles rather!!!!!n self confidence isnt inborn but got as u gradually succeed in lyf!!!!! hope my ideas can be red.
priyatithi

Anonymous said...

sumit has choosen a topic which the teenagers and even adults would would not agree to tax their minds. the essay certainly made a good read. i totlly agree with both sumit and sudipto. yes, there are very few egoist in this world.let me mention some more books which talks about ones own happiness and the means to achieve them- code named god, monk who sold his ferari, the street lawyer,ressurection and alchemist.
and one last request, sumit , will you please request the funky mobile users to think twice before using their " hape" language before commenting on topics like this. it takes away all the essence and flavour from the profound truth you are trying to elicit. altleast i think so. orkut and blog are not the same thing , are they?
well, till then keep writing!